Monday, March 25, 2013

Hugo and his magical inventions.

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick

Rating: 5 out of 5 hearts
525 pages
Released: April 2007
Buy it @ book depository

ORPHAN, CLOCK KEEPER, AND THIEF, Hugo lives in the walls of a busy Paris train station, where his survival depends on secrets and anonymity. But when his world suddenly interlocks with an eccentric, bookish girl and a bitter old man who runs a toy booth in the station, Hugo's undercover life, and his most precious secret, are put in jeopardy. A cryptic drawing, a treasured notebook, a stolen key, a mechanical man, and a hidden message from Hugo's dead father form the backbone of this intricate, tender, and spellbinding mystery.





Review 

This isn't just a book, it's an experience! The pictures and story are so absorbing, it transported me straight to Paris 1930's. I love when a book doesn't end when I finish it, it inspired me to want to know more about cinema during that era. At the end of the book in the credits & acknowledgements the author gives you websites where you can find more information. I had fun learning all about the first movies.

I saw 'Hugo' the movie and I adored it! I watched it before I read this which I think it would've been better if I had watched the movie after reading the book because I knew the mystery behind the mechanical automan and I would've loved to see the pictures come to life! I will definitely watch it again since I've read the book. 

Now that I have read this I would like to read 'Wonderstruck' to see what it's like. I loved how the illustrations told the story at times. One of my favourite instances was when Hugo was running from the station inspector through the walls of the train station. I really felt the tension and turned the pages so quickly to see whether he got away!

I recommend this to people of all ages. It's a story of finding yourself, overcoming loss, making friends & having your dreams come true! 

On the cover

Isn't it beautiful! The moon plays a part in this story and the cogs & gears look like a hot air balloon. The border reminds me of a theatre curtain like I'm getting ready to sit down and watch a show.

What I'm reading next: Amber House by Kelly Moore


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...