Saturday, March 16, 2013

It sure was a bloody road

Blood Red Road (Dust Lands #1) by Moira Young

Rating: 4 out of 5 hearts
459 pages
Released: June 2011
Buy it @ book depository

Saba has spent her whole life in Silverlake, a dried-up wasteland ravaged by constant sandstorms. The Wrecker civilization has long been destroyed, leaving only landfills for Saba and her family to scavenge from. That's fine by her, as long as her beloved twin brother Lugh is around. But when a monster sandstorm arrives, along with four cloaked horsemen, Saba's world is shattered. Lugh is captured, and Saba embarks on an epic quest to get him back. Suddenly thrown into the lawless, ugly reality of the world outside of desolate Silverlake, Saba is lost without Lugh to guide her. So perhaps the most surprising thing of all is what Saba learns about herself: she's a fierce fighter, an unbeatable survivor, and a cunning opponent. And she has the power to take down a corrupt society from the inside. Teamed up with a handsome daredevil named Jack and a gang of girl revolutionaries called the Free Hawks, Saba stages a showdown that will change the course of her own civilization.






Review 


"Saba: People with this name have a deep inner desire for love and companionship, and want to work with others to achieve peace and harmony." ~ I found this on the internet and thought it suited Saba fairly accurately.

This book took me on a truly epic adventure which I didn't expect at all. It sure was a long bloody road but boy was it awesome! If you're someone who likes fantasy books but doesn't like all the boring riding through the woods scenes but loves a good battle scene then this is the book for you. It's filled to the brim with fast paced action, characters you want to fight for and a dystopian backdrop to rival all others. 

I had no idea really what to expect from this, all I knew was that it was something very special because I've read many reviews from people beaming about this book. So of course it landed on my to read list and now that I've read it I can join all those other beaming reviewers. 

What I loved about this was the main character Saba - she is stubborn, fierce and very loyal to her brother. These qualities make her the perfect person to learn to love and loathe at the same time. While Saba is loyal and has lots of respect for her slightly older twin brother Lugh, she is a truly horrible person to her little sister Emmi. At times I found myself disgusted at how she would treat Emmi, but during their forced time together Saba slowly starts to redeem herself and realise the hatred she has for her sister is really from another cause. I must admit though that Saba got a lot of help from Jack in learning how to see people in a different light.

Now Jack is another story. Enter the love interest, the one and only love interest. No love triangles in this book (unless you count the love Saba has for her brother but that's plain weird and doesn't count). Jack is brave, caring and a leader, oh and how can I forget those moonlight coloured eyes. It takes a while for us to meet Jack and a long while for Saba to get to grips with her true feelings for him. The romance is sweet and steamy at the same time, at some moments I was like "awww" and other moments I was like "phew down boy!" haha. 

Something that really bugged me though was the language and grammar used through out the book. It took me a while to get used to it and after that I found it to be one of the things I loved about the story. BUT at one stage Saba was telling everyone that she was sorry for her behaviour and how she was acting, one of the words she used to describe herself was: cantankersome.... now I had no idea whether this word even existed and here Saba is - obviously never read a book in her life as she doesn't know what words were and described them as scribbles on a page - using a word like cantankersome to explain her actions! Feels a bit off to me.

I don't mind a cliffhanger at the end of a book because it leaves you wanting more but I really liked how this book ended. I was left feeling satisfied, this chapter has ended but I knew that there is going to be more adventures to come. I'm still very much looking forward to getting the next book in the series. Hopefully I can get it on Audiobook too.

On the cover

 

This isn't the normal cover people are probably used to seeing as Audiobooks seem to have the more unknown covers but I think it's cool. It looks like a piece of art that should be hanging up in some hip gallery by some super hipster artist. I do prefer the other covers more than this one though.

What I'm listening on Audio to next: BZRK by Michael Grant



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...