Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Take me down the Jelicoe road anytime

On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta

Rating: 4 out of 5 hearts
300 pages
Released: August 2006

Abandoned by her mother on Jellicoe Road when she was eleven, Taylor Markham 17, finally confronts her past. Hannah, the closest adult she has to family, disappears. Jonah Griggs, moody stares and all, is back in town. If Taylor can put together the pieces of her past, she might just be able to change her future.








Review

Melina Marchetta has this way of drawing a reader in and making them fall head over heels in love with her characters. I don't know how she does it! Her books always seem to start off confusing, this one wasn't any different, and before you know it you're sucked right into the story like nothing else in the real world matters. I was almost halfway through and was going to give up on this because it was just too confusing, but I went on because I have read so many good review, and oh my I'm am SO glad I kept going!

Marchetta's characters feel so real, by the end of the book I feel like I know them and could text them to catch up and hang out. It's hard to tell you exactly what was going on in this book, so all I will say is read this NOW! Or you could wait until the movie is released, there's no knowing when it will come out so you should just read it. My only problem with books being adapted into a movie is that I hope they can capture the chemistry between all the characters.

My only issue with this book (other than the confusing beginning, which made sense by the end) was the mystery behind Taylor's background and who her father was. I slowly guessed what was going on, which if you've read my reviews before you will know I hate when I guess things before they are revealed. But Marchetta was good at keeping little things secret and didn't reveal until later, so she kept me guessing a bit. Because of those small faults I give this 4 stars. I am now a huge fan of Melina Marcetta and I look forward to seeing what she comes up with next!

On the cover

I love this cover, it's so vibrant and suits the story perfectly. I'm assuming that's the Jellicoe road and the faded person could be Taylor because she is stuck here but also in the past.

What I'm listening to next: The lightning Thief by Rick Riordan



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...