Monday, February 3, 2014

Not sure if this is legendary material

Legend (Legend #1) by Marie Lu

Rating: 3 out of 5 hearts
320 pages
Released: November 2011
Buy it @ book depository

What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths - until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills. 



Review

I've heard a lot of good things about this series and I was really looking forward to reading it. Unfortunately it wasn't as good as I had hoped. The story was fairly predictable, about a girl living the rich luxurious life and a boy living the poor low life. They meet and the action begins.

The mystery and suspense kept me intrigued enough, but I saw a lot of things coming. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh, but it didn't feel like there was anything new to this that I haven't already read. One thing I did like was the romance between June and Day. There were some swoony moments that were quite nice and done well, no insta-love here.

It's clear this book is merely written to set up bigger things, there's lots of conspiracies going on but not much is revealed. I will read the rest of the books in the series but I'm not in any rush to do so. I'm hoping for a bit more in the second novel.

 

On the cover 

This cover is very stiff and stark. It's not all that appealing to me and even after reading this I don't know what the symbol is on the front cover. Can someone explain it to me please?!


What I'm reading next: Wildlife by Fiona Woods



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...