Monday, April 8, 2013

Beneath that pretty cover is an ok story

Everneath (Everneath #1) by Brodi Ashton

Rating: 3 out of 5 hearts
370 pages
Released: January 2012
Buy it @ book depository

"Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath. Now she's returned--to her old life, her family, her boyfriend--before she's banished back to the underworld . . . this time forever. She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.

Nikki longs to spend these precious months forgetting the Everneath and trying to reconnect with her boyfriend, Jack, the person most devastated by her disappearance--and the one person she loves more than anything. But there's just one problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who enticed her to the Everneath in the first place, has followed Nikki home. Cole wants to take over the throne in the underworld and is convinced Nikki is the key to making it happen. And he'll do whatever it takes to bring her back, this time as his queen.

As Nikki's time on the Surface draws to a close and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she is forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole's queen."


Review

Hmm how can I start this review? I guess I'll start by saying that I didn't really like this to begin with. Once I realised that Nikki was so unlikeable because she had been sucked of all her emotions I started to get more into the story. The idea of using mythology and bringing it into the 21st Century is really cool. The author must've done quite a bit of research into making her story feel real, like there really could be cults out there that believe in Everlivings.

I know a lot of people really loved this book but for me there was something missing. I can't say why I didn't get into this book more, I think the characters weren't interesting enough and the story was a little predictable. I did like it but I didn't LOVE it because there wasn't anything to love about it. It was a good enough story that kept me entertained and wanting to know more but I'm not dying to read the next book in the series anytime soon.

Something I really loved was the way the story was written. It didn't start at the beginning, It starts with Nikki waking up in the Everneath but as a reader you have no idea how or why she got there and every second chapter we learn a bit more about Nikki's decision to go with Cole to the Everneath.

On a side note the narrator was the same as when I listened to 'Blood Red Road' which I found very weird to have two books that I listened to so close to each with the same narrator.

On the cover




The cover at the top is the most common cover which is gorgeous! Although the main character never wears a dress like that but I love the mist, it looks amazing! The cover on the left is the cover for the audiobook.....yuk! Her eyes are creepy and the main character isn't blonde, maybe that's the light filter that makes her hair blonde, whatever it is I hate this cover.










What I'm listening on Audio to next: Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley





No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...